Altova Mailing List Archives

RE: [xsl] Top Ten Java and XSLT Tips, #5

From: Benjamin Franz <snowhare@----------->
Date: 8/31/2001 9:42:00 AM
On Fri, 31 Aug 2001, Julian Reschke wrote:

> I'd have less problems with "good advice" like that if somebody could give a
> real-world example where &#0160; doesn't work properly.

The problem is with default character sets. If a browser doesn't use
either UTF8 or an ISO-8859-x encoding for its default, high bit characters
sometimes turn into either '?' or other nonsensical things. It is a very
common problem for non-latin character set people (especially for those
like Japanese having multi-byte encodings).

By generating an explicit entity rather than getting an inlined character
the problem doesn't appear so much (at least not in new browsers).

It is a real problem - it just doesn't affect latin character set people
very much.

--
Benjamin Franz

  Programs must be written for people to read, and only
  incidentally for machines to execute.
                             ---Abelson and Sussman