Altova Mailing List Archives

Re: placing of namespace declarations in result tree

From: Mike Brown <mike@-------->
Date: 10/24/2000 9:58:00 AM
Linda van den Brink wrote:
> the xlink namespace declaration is present on all parents of link elements.
> This is not what I would expect (after reading XSLT section 7.1.1). Why are
> the xlink namespace declarations not present on the link elements
> themselves? Or why is there not just one xlink namespace declaration on the
> document element?

The answer probably lies in the "[some template rules omitted]" portion of
your sample code :)

The stylesheet is a node tree, itself. The literal result elements in the
stylesheet (I suspect you have a <Paragraph> in there) will have namespace
nodes attached to them, for whatever namespaces are in scope at that point
in the stylesheet tree. Literal result elements are copied to the result
tree, namespace nodes and all. When the result tree is serialized,
namespace nodes will manifest as xmlns attributes at the highest level
where they need to be in scope. If you don't want the namespace nodes to
be copied from the stylesheet tree to the result tree for certain
elements, use xsl:element instead of literal result elements.

   - Mike