Altova Mailing List Archives

Re: XSLT text output - better formatting possible?

From: Eric van der Vlist <vdv@------------>
Date: 10/25/2000 9:41:00 PM
"Lyn K. Finman" wrote:

> QUESTION:  is there a better way to generate basic text files from XML
> than specifying "text" output from XSLT and liberal use of <xsl:text>
> sections?  For example, I will use FOP to produce documentation in .pdf
> format.  Is there a FOP-equivalent that generates 'nice looking' ascii
> text output?  Or does someone know of a stylesheet that outputs nicely
> formatted text?  I know I could write an application that parses the
> library schema and spits out .c/.h files formatted as I'd like, but
> creating an XSLT stylesheet and using Xalan seemed more
> flexible/modular.

Following an intermediate path, you can also write a customized output
handler (it gives you the power of XSLT to transform the information and
the flexibility of Java to do the low level formatting).
As an example, you can have a look at
http://4xt.org/downloads/examples/outputhandlers/formatedtext/

Eric