Altova Mailing List Archives

Re: [xml-dev] If I want to use catalogs for XSDs, must document

From: "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@----------------.--->
To: Victor Porton <porton@-----.-->,xml-dev@-----.---.---
Date: 4/23/2012 8:58:00 PM
At 2012-04-23 23:44 +0300, Victor Porton wrote:
>23.04.2012, 23:28, "Liam R E Quin" <liam@w...>:
> > On Mon, 2012-04-23 at 12:31 +0200, Jirka Kosek wrote:
> >
> >> šMight be I'm not understanding you correctly Liam, but IMHO namespace
> >> šURI is perfect way to *indirectly* say where the schema is located.
> >>
> >> šGood XML application support mapping file where namespace URI can be
> >> šmapped to schema which should be used for validation.
> >
> > Yes, that aspect is fine. Blindly dereferencing the namespace and
> > expecting to find a schema there is what I was saying is not fine.
>
>I am writing a standard about what should be located at namespace URLs.

Why compete with RDDL?  http://www.rddl.org

With RDDL you simultaneously get both human
readable and machine readable information about
the XML vocabulary.  RDDL attributes are simply added to XHTML pages.

OASIS Open uses the RDDL specification and here
are the namespace URI pages for two of the
standard XML vocabularies I've worked on in the code list technical committee:

   http://docs.oasis-open.org/codelist/ns/genericode/1.0/
   http://docs.oasis-open.org/codelist/ns/ContextValueAssociation/1.0/

I've published a free stylesheet to help people
write RDDL pages for their namespace URIs:

   http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/resources/#showrddl

There is no standard layout for an XHTML/RDDL
page ... it can be whatever you want and you can
point to whatever resources you want.  It is all
useful information and both human and machine
discoverable through the namespace URI.

>This should contain not only schemas (of any
>kind) but also rules for transformations between different namespaces.

It shouldn't contain anything but pointers to all
of the possible things that might be of interest
to users of the XML vocabulary.

>I think this is an important standard (when I
>will release a good draft), but we need work on
>its promotion to become an agreed industry
>standard. Your help to promote it could be essential.

I think promoting something that competes with an
established practice doesn't help the existing community of users.

I hope this is considered helpful, especially if
you've not heard of RDDL before.

--
Public XSLT, XSL-FO, UBL and code list classes in Europe -- May 2012
Free 5-hour lecture: http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/links/udemy.htm