Altova Mailing List Archives

Re: [xml-dev] xml:href, xml:rel and xml:type

From: Michael Kay <mike@--------.--->
To: xml-dev@-----.---.---
Date: 4/16/2012 3:52:00 PM
> I'm not suggesting that.  I'm suggesting @xml:rel as a way of capturing
> the name of the relationships:
>
> <factory xml:href="http://example.com/willy-wonkas-chocolate-factory/location" xml:rel="location" xml:type="application/xml">
> <name>Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory</name>
> <products>
> <product xml:href=""http://example.com/willy-wonkas-products/wonka-bar" xml:rel="describedby" xml:type="application/xml"><name>Wonka Bar</name>
> </products>
> </factory

Are these href values URIs or URLs? I get the impression, because you're
talking about REST, that they can be dereferenced. If that's the case,
then I'm sceptical about whether this information belongs in the XML.
The identity of a product is not the same as the address of a web
service that can provide information about the product. There's too much
muddling of layers going on here. The application should get information
about products by combining two pieces of information: knowledge of the
product's identifier, and knowledge of a service that provides
trustworthy information about products. I don't think it's right to
bundle those two things inseparably together.

Michael Kay
Saxonica