Altova Mailing List Archives

Re: [xml-dev] RE: Abstraction in Science, Mathematics, Software, and

From: Stephen D Green <stephengreenubl@-----.--->
To: Michael Kay <mike@--------.--->
Date: 3/14/2011 2:09:00 PM
Maybe there is an (extended) XSD meta-meta-type akin to the OWL
'Thing' which is completely abstract with every possible 'has-a' and
every possible 'is-a'. Maybe it could be logically defined (according to
Roger's 'crossProduct' proposal) crossProductThing to which every
can have an 'is-a' relationship. In UBL we had a concept in the early
days of what we called an 'Ur-type' (after the city Ur from which
supposedly every language developed?). That seems to be similar.

These levels of abstraction do seem to have parallels in the ISO CCTS
implemented by languages such as UBL which then provides the data
dictionary naming conventions.

----
Stephen D Green