Altova Mailing List Archives

Re: [xml-dev] To namespace or not to Namespace ....

From: Mukul Gandhi <gandhi.mukul@-----.--->
To: xml-dev@-----.---.---
Date: 4/8/2010 3:25:00 AM
On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 8:53 PM, John L. Clark <jlc6@p...> wrote:
> To a namespace-aware XML processor, the existence of prefixes (or lack thereof) in the
> source is irrelevant.  I don't feel any pressure to use namespace prefixes until
> multiple dialects get combined, and then I tend to award the majority
> dialect with prefix-freedom.  (A notable exception is XSLT, where I
> like to emphasize the majority *output* dialect by placing it in the
> default namespace.)

I think, there could be some design considerations specific to a given
problem, whether we should use namespace prefixs or not.

For example, my application could use namespace prefixes to check for
equality of namespaces (orcourse, this is not as reliable as using
namespace-uri for namespace equality, but again this is perhaps
problem specific).

Also I think, prefixes serve as a good annotation for namespaces in a
XML document :)

I agree though, that using prefixes is good when we are combining
multiple XML vocabularies.

--
Regards,
Mukul Gandhi