Altova Mailing List Archives

Re: [xml-dev] To namespace or not to Namespace ....

From: David <dlee@-------.--->
To: xml-dev@-----.---.---
Date: 4/7/2010 5:16:00 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions.   Its what I was thinking as well.
"Dont use Namespaces"
"DO use namespaces"

ARG !!!!

But it got me thinking ... In actuality, even if we never publish this
particular schema outside our org, in fact I've got atleast 4 (maybe
more) XML schemas that are related but not in great shape right now.
This is a "new" one and I was thinking all along it would be in its own
sandbox because its so different from the others.   Onceaponatime I had
a fantasy of a "combined schema" for all our different types so they
would all fit into one abstract data model.   Reality is they are too
different for that to be useful even if it could be done.
BUT ... what I've come to realize is that there are *parts* which would
do well to be common.   For example all the schemas have a concept of
linking, a concept of paragraphs etc ... while the majority of the
structure is domain specific, it would be nice to share the common parts.
Which all roads leads to ....

Namespaces !!!!

Double-Arg ...

But I think its the right solution.