Altova Mailing List Archives

Re: [xml-dev] is an xml:id attribute a "DTD-determined ID"?

From: "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@----------------.--->
Date: 9/16/2009 7:21:00 PM
At 2009-09-16 15:12 -0400, David A. Lee wrote:
>I dont know about Xerces support or XPointer ...
>But this link describes whats *supposed* to happen fairly well .. .I
>had just stumbled on this the other day ..
>
><http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-id/>http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-id/
>
>It talks about using internal or external DTD's to mark the magic xml:id
>

><!ATTLIST someElement
>     xml:id     ID          #IMPLIED
>

>And appears to work even though DTD's are not namespace aware.,

Because "xml:id" satisfies the naming constraints for attributes in
XML documents, and the prefix for the XML namespace is reserved to be
the string "xml" and no other namespace can use the prefix "xml".

So as far as I can see nothing can get in the way of interpreting
"xml:id" as desired in a DTD environment.

I hope this helps.

--
Upcoming hands-on code list, UBL, XSLT, XQuery and XSL-FO classes.
Interested in other classes?  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/x/i/