Altova Mailing List Archives

RE: [xml-dev] Wikipedia on XML

From: "Len Bullard" <cbullard@------.--->
To: "'Elliotte Rusty Harold'" <elharo@-------.--->, "'Michael Kay'"
Date: 8/21/2009 11:53:00 PM
Elliotte is right. The DTD formally ensures that well-formedness is not the
single possible basis of acceptance of an XML instance.  Preferences for how
that is documented seem to break down when describing why that is necessary.

len

From: Elliotte Rusty Harold [mailto:elharo@i...]

No, I don't think that's sufficient. FDTDs are fundamentally
integrated into the design of an XML parser. They are not optional
pieces one can ignore. Nor are they just a schema language either.
They have noticeable effects on a document's infoset even in the
absence of validation. Yes, in hindsight, this was a mistake; but it's
not one we can ignore or sweep under the rug, much as we might wish
things were otherwise. :-(