Altova Mailing List Archives

RE: [xml-dev] Yahoo! Tech article on injunction against MS

From: Michael Kay <mike@--------.--->
To: 'James Fuller' <james.fuller.2007@-----.--->, "'CHET ENSIGN, BLOOMBERG/
Date: 8/13/2009 3:27:00 PM
> w/o wanting to be to OTT, thats why open source licensing is
> so very important to humanity, otherwise what is easy to
> dismiss as silly could become very painful for you and me.

Actually, I think open source is an almost orthogonal issue. I've no
problems with people developing software and earning money by selling it.
The evil is in saying that when someone comes up with a simple idea, they
aren't allowed to use it if someone in the past has come up with an idea
that is deemed sufficiently similar. That is both an outrageous assault on
personal liberty and a serious impediment to economic progress.

Regards,

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/
http://twitter.com/michaelhkay