Altova Mailing List Archives

Re: [xml-dev] XHTML 2 Working Group won't be renewed?

From: "Pete Cordell" <petexmldev@---------.--->
To: "Michael Kay" <mike@--------.--->, "'Andrew Welch'"
Date: 7/9/2009 11:34:00 AM
Original Messages From: "Michael Kay" and "Andrew Welch"

Combining two replies in one...

From: "Michael Kay"

From: "Andrew Welch"
> using your suggestion above with no delimeters you would end up with:
>
>"/http://www.mycompany.com/myschema:root-elem/http://www.mycompany.com/myschema:child-elem"
>
>...which probably isn't feasible, and not nice on the eyes :)

Um, I see your point.

From: "Michael Kay"
> One problem is that the more universal you want to make it, the more
> contexts it has to be unambiguous in: for example XQuery has problems with
> {uri}local because it already uses "{" extensively.

If you get really desperate you could do something Perl-esque where you
choose your delimiters.  e.g. in Perl you do:

    s/XYZ/ABC/  or  s#XYZ#ABC#

in XML you could choose between {}, [], or some other non-name character
such as:

<$http://www.mycompany.com/myschema$:root

If you need any more help, let me know ;-)

Pete Cordell
Codalogic Ltd
Interface XML to C++ the easy way using XML C++
data binding to convert XSD schemas to C++ classes.
Visit http://codalogic.com/lmx/ or http://www.xml2cpp.com
for more info