Altova Mailing List Archives

Re: [xml-dev] xml:lang how often used?

From: "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@----------------.--->
To: "XML Developers List" <xml-dev@-----.---.--->
Date: 10/18/2007 1:23:00 PM
At 2007-10-18 14:44 +0200, bryan rasmussen wrote:
>It seems to me that people are always reinventing the wheel where
>xml:lang is used and I am always seeing standards that specify an
>attribute or element usage for specifying the language that parts of a
>document are in. Can anyone think of any particular formats or perhaps
>governmental initiatives where it has been officially decreed that
>xml:lang must be used when appropriate, and does anyone know why
>people seem to not use xml:lang in favor of using other ways to do the
>same thing?

My customers using DITA are using xml:lang for their product
documentation.  The stylesheets I write for them inspect the document
element for the language in order to arrange the page geometry appropriately.

Personally I'm using it in subtrees of multi-lingual compilations of
Universal Business Language information item description
translations:  the aggregate translation stores for each item
description the many available language translations, each annotated
with an appropriate xml:lang.

Where are you seeing alternatives popping up?

--
Comprehensive in-depth XSLT2/XSL-FO1.1 classes: Austin TX,Jan-2008
G. Ken Holman                 mailto:gkholman@C...