Altova Mailing List Archives

RE: [xml-dev] xml:lang how often used?

From: "Michael Kay" <mike@--------.--->
To: "'bryan rasmussen'" <rasmussen.bryan@-----.--->,"'G. Ken Holman'" <gkholman@----------------.--->
Date: 10/18/2007 3:54:00 PM
>  I think though now I just realized a really perverse and
> strange use case I hadn't thought of for having a language
> identifier different than xml:lang, which is that xml:lang
> sets the language specification for all attributes + contents
> of an element, but you could theoretically see situations
> where attributes for some reason had a different language

Obvious example, not remotely strange or perverse:

<dictionary xml:lang="fr">
  <term name="Computer">Ordinateur</term>
  <term name="Software">Logiciel</term>
  <term name="File">Fichier</term>
</dictionary>

Now one can have an endless debate about whether one should use xml:lang
there or some other attribute. Frankly I don't care. I think it misses the
point: XML is about syntax, not semantics, and document designers should be
free to choose their own tags.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/