Altova Mailing List Archives

Re: [xml-dev] Generating XML from XSD

From: "Anthony B. Coates (XML-Dev)" <abcoatesecure-xmldev@-----.--.-->
To: xml-dev@-----.---.---
Date: 6/27/2007 5:20:00 PM
It's already been mentioned that tools like XMLSpy">XMLSpy and oXygen have some
capability to produce XML instances to match a Schema.  However, my own
experience (mostly with users who had XMLSpy">XMLSpy) is that the tool often
generated invalid instances, and the users then assumed that there was an
error in the Schema that they had been given.

In particular, I'm not sure if any tool will reliably generate valid
instances if there are pattern restrictions in a Schema.  This may well be
an intractable problem, to generate a valid string match a pattern for any
arbitrary pattern.  Certainly it isn't a trivial problem.  It does mean,
however, that you should never expect an XML instance generator to fully
valid XML.  It may need editing to make it valid.

Cheers, Tony.

--
Anthony B. Coates
Senior Partner