Altova Mailing List Archives

Re: [xml-dev] Interesting pair of comments (was Re: [xml-dev] Schema Experience Workshop minutes online)

From: "Pete Cordell" <petexmldev@--------------.--->
To: "Bullard, Claude L \(Len\)" <len.bullard@----------.--->
Date: 7/13/2005 6:44:00 PM
Dear Len,

I sense that this is a wider debate that I'm naively wading into here, and I
think your primary application domain is different to mine.  But (most
likely telling you things you already know)...

In a protocol / data oriented world, when you up issue, the ideal would be
to leave the targetNamespace URI (I assume that's the URI you're talking
about) the same and possibly change the xs:schema version attribute (for
info).  Any XML instances generated against the old schema would also be
valid against the new schema.  Thus, in my selfish application domain this
is not a problem.

To end with a slightly emotive statement, there is no point in worrying how
you are going to identify an up-issued schema if you can't generate one (or
at least, the one you want) in the first place :-)

Pete.