Altova Mailing List Archives

Re: XML and entropy, again

From: "Dimitre Novatchev" <dnovatchev@-----.--->
To: xml-dev@-----.---.---
Date: 12/21/2004 7:47:00 PM
>  I wonder, however, about the
> assertions made for the appropriateness of XQuery and XSLT, e.g.
> "converting a DocBook document into WordML or vice versa would be
> impossible in XQuery".  It gets back into our XSLT vs XQuery
> permathread -- do the two have radically different capabilities with
> respect to handling recursive structures and/or recursive alorithms,
> or are they more or less different syntaxes for the same capabilities?

To quote Mike Kay's post in xml-dev comparing the corresponding XSLT and
XQuery code for an identity transformation

"But in fact there's a bigger issue - the XQuery code is wrong. It loses the
namespaces from the source document. Perhaps I'm missing something, but I
can't see any way to solve this. XQuery may be computationally complete, but
it's not actually closed over the data model - there is no way of generating
a namespace dynamically. As far as I can see at the moment, that's a
stopper, and this exercise has to be coded in XSLT.

Of course, I'm sure there are other problems where XQuery has the edge."

Cheers,
Dimitre Novatchev