Altova Mailing List Archives

Re: [xml-dev] Which Will Be Released First, the W3C's XQuery Spec or Longhorn?

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@---.--->
To: Jonathan Robie <jonathan.robie@----------.--->
Date: 10/17/2004 7:06:00 AM
* Jonathan Robie wrote:
>> It is, for example, not possible to implement a spec from the spec if
>> two parts of the specification contradict each other. The specification
>> would need to be changed in order to implement it.
>
>Right. Every W3C specification tells you the name of a mailing list to
>which you should send this kind of feedback. We are required to respond
>to this feedback (unless it comes from employees of member companies,
>when it can be handled more informally).

Working Groups are not required to formally address such issues, they
are not required to respond in a timely manner, and just responding to
reviewers does not solve the problem as a response does not change the
specification in any way. And that there is such a requirement does not
mean that Working Groups actually do it. There thus seems to be room
for improvement...

I am not sure where you got this rule for members from, maybe you can
point me to the relevant section in the operative Process document?