Altova Mailing List Archives

Re: [xml-dev] The triples datamodel -- was Re: [xml-dev] Semantic Web permathread, iteration n+1

From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo@-------.---.--->
To: Robert Koberg <rob@------.--->
Date: 6/8/2004 1:43:00 PM
At 4:55 PM -0700 6/7/04, Robert Koberg wrote:
>I am all for learning new things, as I am sure most people here are.
>Can you describe the system and/or provide a case study? I have only
>heard you describe a philosophy so far.

Walter Perry's reported success using this technique for financial
transactions on Wall Street.

As I've previously noted, this is in fact how web browsers do work,
and have worked for a decade.

I haven't been following the ATOM/RSS discussions to closely (too
much ego-bashing for my tastes) but I think that's a perfect
environment for this approach. Ask a document for all the feed
elements, title elements, etc. as needed an display them. If other
formats or data formats become important add plug-ins, transforms etc
that process them. Take what you want. Ignore the rest.   I'm not
sure if this is the direction Atom is going right now or not, but it
would work and be a lot more extensible than the current mess where
vendors constantly complain about not being able to handle what
authors send them, even in a very restricted format.

--

   Elliotte Rusty Harold
   elharo@m...