Altova Mailing List Archives

Re: [xml-dev] Problem designing complexType accepting a specifiedelement and a llowing any others.

From: Mike Fitzgerald <mikefz@------.--->
To: Hess Yvan <yvan.hess@----.-->
Date: 3/11/2004 8:53:00 PM
Why not just use RELAX NG? [1] I don't know if this RNG schema captures all your
requirements, but your two instances are valid wrt it. The interleave element is
useful here.[2] In this content model, identifier is required but the other
elements are optional (zero or one), but they may all be interleaved, that is,
they can appear in any order together.

<grammar xmlns="http://relaxng.org/ns/structure/1.0"
  ns="http://www.imtf.com/test"
  datatypeLibrary="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-datatypes">

<start>
<element name="metadata" xmlns="http://relaxng.org/ns/structure/1.0">
  <interleave>
   <element name="identifier">
    <data type="string"/>
   </element>
   <ref name="other"/>
  </interleave>
</element>
</start>

<define name="other">
<optional>
  <element name="name">
   <data type="string"/>
  </element>
</optional>
<optional>
  <element name="subject">
   <data type="string"/>
  </element>
</optional>
<optional>
  <element name="title">
   <data type="string"/>
  </element>
</optional>
</define>

</grammar>

You can of course refine the datatypes to your liking. If you must use XML
Schema, just translate this RNG schema into XSD with Trang.[3] I used the Jing
validator to validate your instances against this schema.[4]

Mike

[1] http://relaxng.org
[2] http://relaxng.org/tutorial-20011203.html#IDAN1YR
[3] http://thaiopensource.com/relaxng/trang.html