Altova Mailing List Archives

Re: [xml-dev] RSS beyond the Blog: 1992 or 1999? - was Re: [xml-dev] hurry GenX...

From: Michael Champion <mc@-------.--->
To: XML DEV <xml-dev@-----.---.--->
Date: 3/18/2004 9:16:00 PM
On Mar 18, 2004, at 3:46 PM, Jeff Rafter wrote:

> it is a misnomer. What we really have is HTTP automation scripts
> masquerading as subscription services. If that's all, then why not just
> insert a middle-man that can be repeatedly pinged and let the bank
> push the
> data to the middle-man? Oh yeah. That's how POP works. That's what we
> are
> trying to get away from.

I *hope* we're trying to get away from the limitations of the currently
deployed version of SMTP, not the architectural pattern behind email.
Like you say, if my bank (and everyone else who wants to get my
attention) notifies an intermediary, and I periodically check that
intermediary to see if anyone is trying to contact me, that take a
whole lot less overall bandwidth than periodically checking everybody
who might want to get in touch with me.

I'm totally open as to whether the world needs a new protocol, a fixup
of SMTP, or a pub-sub friendly HTTP extension (or lightweight, limited
HTTP servers everywhere, a la KnowNow???).   I guess I'd bet that a
fixup of SMTP to prevent spoofing along with a zero tolerance policy
toward spam on the part of ISPs  (c.f
http://bofhcam.org/co-larters/images/tracing-spammers-s.gif ) would
make the email infrastructure suitable for this, but I don't claim to
know ...