Altova Mailing List Archives

RE: [xml-dev] InkML

From: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@--------.--->
To: "'xml-dev@-----.---.---'" <-------@-----.---.--->
Date: 8/21/2003 2:03:00 PM
clbullar@i... (Bullard, Claude L (Len)) writes:
>Perhaps, but it seems that we as XML application language
>designers and members of working groups should take on
>the challenge to reuse as much pre-existing productions
>as make sense to the particular language.

If it's a wrapper format, fine.  Call it a wrapper format.  Don't sell
it as a new XML format.

This spec appears to be creating a whole new set of semi-random numbers
and letters, and calling it XML.

>Lists of numbers are common, BTW.  X3D has them too.
>But when SVG and X3D finally do merge in a meaningful
>fashion, it will be painful to work in namespaces where
>each one has a different way to specify coordinates.

Even for people merely converting from one to another, never mind grand
unification, this creates huge problems.  SVG does get criticized on a
semi-regular basis for this.  Dunno about X3D, but it'd be a huge black
mark for me.  Maybe they don't care - "it's just a delivery format" -
but I spend too much time extracting information from delivery formats
to take that claim seriously.

--
Simon St.Laurent
Errors, errors, all fall down!