Altova Mailing List Archives

Re: [xml-dev] URN vs URL

From: "Chiusano Joseph" <chiusano_joseph@---.--->
To: Andy Greener <andy@---.--.-->
Date: 7/30/2003 6:02:00 PM
Andy,

Reference [1] below might be helpful to you. One of the namespaces
listed is OASIS, which requested their URN [2] in 2001.

Kind Regards,
Joe Chiusano
Booz | Allen | Hamilton

[1] http://www.iana.org/assignments/urn-namespaces
[2] http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc3121.html

Andy Greener wrote:

> I really don't want to open up the old debate about whether to
> use URLs or URNs for XML namespace names, but I am curious about how
> to go about doing it properly with a URN, should that route take my
> fancy...
>
> I tried "asking the internet", but a search for 'URN + assignment' on
> google provides precious little information, aside from references to
> the present, lightly populated "registry" and a flurry of papers and
> documents dating from 1994-5 (have URNs simply gone out of fashion? :-).
>
> The apparent process for requesting the assignment of a "top level" URN
> domain (or 'NID') appears way too heavyweight for most everyday uses, and
> delegation to lower level naming authorities seems to be non-existent,
> though I did find a reference to the reserved status of two letter NIDs
> for "future use as countrycode-based NIDs for eventual national registrations
> of URN namespaces". Did this ever happen? Is it ever likely to?
>
> Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places, so any pointers to resources
> would be appreciated.
>
> Given that it appears difficult, if not quite impossible, to obtain a
> properly registered URN-based namespace, why shouldn't I just roll my
> own, so long as I'm careful? Who's going to challenge urn:uk:co:gid:...,
> for instance, and stop me using it?.
> --
>
> Andy Greener                         Mob: +44 7836 331933
> GID Ltd, Reading, UK                 Tel: +44 118 956 1248
> andy@g...                       Fax: +44 118 958 9005

begin:vcard
n:Chiusano;Joseph
tel;work:(703) 902-6923
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.bah.com
adr:;;8283 Greensboro Drive;McLean;VA;22012;
version:2.1
email;internet:chiusano_joseph@b...
title:Senior Consultant
fn:Joseph M. Chiusano