Altova Mailing List Archives

Re: [xml-dev] URN vs URL

From: "Chiusano Joseph" <chiusano_joseph@---.--->
To: Andy Greener <andy@---.--.-->, Alaric B Snell <alaric@------------.--->, xml-dev@-----.---.---
Date: 7/30/2003 9:52:00 PM
<Quote>
As a sidenote, I recommended that this document be updated to also
include URL formats for namespace identifiers. Oh, which reminds me: I
need to check on its status...
</Quote>

I am now told that my recommendation was accepted, and that this
document is being updated to allow for URL formats for namespace
identifiers as well.

Sorry Len. ;)

Joe Chiusano
Booz | Allen | Hamilton

Chiusano Joseph wrote:

> <Quote>
> Supplementary question: if I was, say, a Government department, what
> would you recommend?
> </Quote>
>
> Here in the US, the Federal CIO Council XML Working Group created a
> draft "Recommended XML Namespace for Government Organizations" document
> in March 2003 [1]. You may find pp.10-12 of this document useful, where
> the suggested formats for URNs are discussed.
>
> As a sidenote, I recommended that this document be updated to also
> include URL formats for namespace identifiers. Oh, which reminds me: I
> need to check on its status...
>
> Kind Regards,
> Joe Chiusano
> Booz | Allen | Hamilton
>
> [1] http://xml.gov/documents/in_progress/GS301L1_namespace.328.doc
>
> Andy Greener wrote:

> > >Well, there's the urn:pin: namespace
> > >
> > >ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3043.txt
> > >
> > >Or you can get an OID from your friendly neighbourhood ISO member body - the BSI in my case - and use urn:oid: like I did:
> > >
> > >http://www.warhead.co.uk/oid.html
> >
> > Both very handy references, thanks (though neither results in what
> > might be called a "memorable" or mnemonic urn :-)
> >
> > Supplementary question: if I was, say, a Government department, what
> > would you recommend? Neither a "pin" urn or an "oid" in the UK company
> > namespace seems appropriate...
> > --
> >
> > Andy Greener                         Mob: +44 7836 331933
> > GID Ltd, Reading, UK                 Tel: +44 118 956 1248
> > andy@g...                       Fax: +44 118 958 9005

begin:vcard
n:Chiusano;Joseph
tel;work:(703) 902-6923
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.bah.com
adr:;;8283 Greensboro Drive;McLean;VA;22012;
version:2.1
email;internet:chiusano_joseph@b...
title:Senior Consultant
fn:Joseph M. Chiusano