Altova Mailing List Archives

Re: [xml-dev] ConciseXML arguments

From: Norman Walsh <ndw@------.--->
To: xml-dev@-----.---.---
Date: 1/19/2003 8:49:00 PM

/ "Mike Plusch" <mplusch@c...> was heard to say:
| Out of the 50 email messages about
| ConciseXML, almost all of the comments
| have been of the sort:
| "but ConciseXML is not XML 1.0!".
|
| Although this is a true statement,
| how about any comments on the two
| key problems that ConciseXML fixes that
| are reoccuring issues across the industry.
|
| 1. XML 1.0 is verbose and is not suitable
|    for many applications that people would
|    like to use it for.

Then why do they want to use it for that?

|    People invent new
|    syntax all the time to avoid XML 1.0.
|    For example, XPATH, XQuery, string
|    encodings, CSV data, etc.

Yeah, and if I could turn back time I'd have worked harder to prevent
some of those.

| 2. There is not a single way in XML 1.0 to
|    represent data fields that have a key and value
|    where the key can be any type and the value
|    can be any type.

<data>
  <key>key value</key>
  <value>value value</value>
</data>

And base64 encode the keys and values if they contain characters that
aren't in XML 1.1.

I'm not sure there's *any* value in what I've proposed but it
satisfies the existence proof. OTOH, I'm not sure there's any value in
being able to represent data fields that have a key and value where
the key can be any type and the value can be any type in XML.

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

- --
Norman.Walsh@S...    | The shortness of life can neither dissuade us
XML Standards Architect | from its pleasures, nor console us for its
Web Tech. and Standards | pains.--Vauvenargues
Sun Microsystems, Inc.  |