Altova Mailing List Archives

Re: [xml-dev] ASN.1t schema languages?

From: Tim Bray <tbray@----------.--->
To: "Alaric B. Snell" <alaric@------------.--->
Date: 1/23/2003 3:23:00 PM
Alaric B. Snell wrote:

>>Speaking as one who has just invested several very painful solid days
>>trying to pick apart 1.3 million data records transmitted in ASN.1/BER
>>(the one or two publicly available pieces of software that claimed to do
>>BER silently failed to do anything, the information provider's own C
>>program was idiosyncratic, failed to compile out of the box, and ran
>>painfully slow), and then discovered that all the non-ASCII characters
>>are hosed, I hope that this effort bears fruit.
>
> Sounds like it was a lame implementation, rather than ASN.1 itself at
> fault... ASN.1/BER handles Unicode fine, and normally works OK!

Sorry, not good enough.  When someone sends me a pile of what's alleged
to be XML

(a) I can use lots of impartial 3rd-party software to find out whether
it really is or not, and
(b) That software runs pretty fast, and
(c) It never breaks non-ASCII characters.

I've actually had consistently nasty experiences with (alleged) ASN.1.
Is there actually a widely-available utility out there that I can
download from somewhere that will reliably and robustly read BER-encoded
ASN.1?  Google dosn't find much.

There's some stuff from IBM Developerworks (you have to download a
mountain of other Java to get it to work, sigh).  If this silently
refuses to unpack the BER should I feel confident in throwing the BER
back in the data provider's face?  -Tim