Altova Mailing List Archives

Re: [xml-dev] XPath/XSLT 2.0 concerns

From: Tim Bray <tbray@----------.--->
To: Jeni Tennison <jeni@------------.--->
Date: 10/2/2002 2:31:00 PM
Jeni Tennison wrote:

> As a W3C XML Schema user, I'm frustrated by the inability to actually
> get at all the "interesting" information that validation against a
> schema adds to a document, and want XPath 2.0 to give me that
> mechanism.

The problem with that wordview is that Xpath/Xquery are clearly mostly
going to be used at application run-time.  I think the proportion of
cases where XMLSchema validation happens at application run-time is
going to be way short of 100%.  I personally think's actually going to
be way short of 25%, it's useful for design support and debugging but
it's just not at the right level for business-logic validation.

The basic notion getting wired into XQuery and friends that you've
basically always run it through a schema is theoretically interesting
but WRONG.

> I think that XQuery has been really held back from really addressing
> the community of schema users by the requirement to be simple

I see no evidence in XQuery in any evidence whatsoever in simplicity.

, and
> that XSLT 2.0 has been vastly complicated by the requirement to supply
> schema information.

Agreed. -Tim