Altova Mailing List Archives

Re: [xml-dev] The Browser Wars are Dead! Long Live the Browser Wa rs!

From: Uche Ogbuji <uche.ogbuji@-----------.--->
To: "Gerben Rampaart \(Casnet Brussel\)" <Gerben@------.--->
Date: 10/25/2002 8:08:00 PM
I've mostly kept out of this one since I think that OO is so ludicrously
over-valued that I can spend energy better than to debate what the best OO
language happens to be.

I do strongly agree that C++ and Java have pretty much given OO a bad name.
Meyer's work in Eiffel proves that OO did not need to ditch axioms from
abstract data types.  Kay's work in Smalltalk proves that OO did not need to
ditch dynamicism.  Stroustroup started out with a solid, practical core and
made too little fuss as a committee ruined it.  Joy, as far as I can tell by
the language he spawned, enjoyed strapping straitjackets onto paramedic
training dummies.

> >Which implies that Java isn't really powerful enough to do whats needed
> >as it exists today and you're already scraping up against the wall.
>
> Just wondering: What DO you think is an acceptable programming language
> (criteria: OO and good XML manipulation)? And why is Java then so widely
> accepted if it breaks all balnchard laws?

My opinion on this has always been that Java is so widely accepted because the
state of the art in software engineering has plummetted so terribly.

Python&XML column: 2. Introducing PyXML - http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2002/09/25/p
y.html
The Past, Present and Future of Web Services 1 - http://www.webservices.org/ind
ex.php/article/articleview/663/1/24/