Altova Mailing List Archives

Re: [xml-dev] What is "semantic markup"?

From: Daniel Dui <d.dui@--.---.--.-->
To: xml-dev <xml-dev@-----.---.--->
Date: 10/30/2002 12:41:00 PM
Agree with Andrew it is also a great weakness. The fact that semantics
and syntax are decoupled is good. The problem is that whereas there are
generic technologies to formalize syntax (i.e. schema languages), there
is not an equivalent way to formalize semantics. For examples two
parties exchanging XML messages might give the documents different
meanings even when they do not intend to.

BTW I don't see how it could be possible to obtain a generic language to
define semantics as it is for syntax. So whether decoupling is good or
bad we have to live with it.

-dd

On Wed, 2002-10-30 at 11:12, AndrewWatt2000@a... wrote:
> In a message dated 30/10/2002 11:00:07 GMT Standard Time, vdv@d...
> writes:
> > I would even say that this is one of the main strengths of XML,
> > sometimes called "loose coupling" or "late binding" :) ...
> Viewed from another perspective it can be seen as one of XML's great
> weaknesses.

  Daniel Dui                                     d.dui@c...
  Dept. of Computer Science                     (+44) 020 7679 7192
  University College London     http://www.cs.ucl.ac.uk/staff/d.dui