Altova Mailing List Archives

Re: [dsdl-comment] Re: [xml-dev] Re: Re: [xml-dev] DSDL: use cases: namespace declaration notation

From: james anderson <james.anderson@----.-->
To: dsdl-comment@----.---
Date: 6/14/2002 3:05:00 PM
David Carlisle wrote:

> >  In which ways is this set of names not a namespace?
>
> It could have been defined as being a namespace but the namespace REC (in 5.2) says
>
> If the URI reference in a default namespace declaration is empty, then
> unprefixed elements in the scope of the declaration are not considered
> to be in any namespace.
>
> which explictly says that that set is _not_ a namespace, so presumably
> it isn't.

It says that "[they] are not considered to be in any namespace," which claim, as I noted, is bogus. That is, it is "spurious,
fictitions, and a sham", and is inconsistent with the earlier definition.

So what does one call this 'set of names which has the name "", but which one can for historical reasons not call a namespace'?