Altova Mailing List Archives

Re: [xml-dev] PSVI formalization

From: Alaric Snell <alaric@------------.--->
To: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@--------.--->,Matthew Gertner <matthew.gertner@----------.--->
Date: 5/10/2002 8:44:00 AM
On Thursday 09 May 2002 18:44, Simon St.Laurent wrote:

> XML is a wonderful foundation for building certain kinds of information
> interchange systems, and a key tool for making it clear that information
> interchange is in fact possible.  XML is not an ideal tool for
> exchanging all kinds of information, however.  The metadata costs of
> working with a text format spiral rapidly as more complex types than
> element structures and attribute annotations are applied.

I usually find that multimedia is a good example - audio and video and images
are not good candidates for XML storage, and they (certainly images at least)
account for a LOT of the information being exchanged over the Web today!

ABS

--
                               Alaric B. Snell
 http://www.alaric-snell.com/  http://RFC.net/  http://www.warhead.org.uk/