Altova Mailing List Archives

Re: [xml-dev] Can you stand yet another SOAP-RPC vs HTTP GETquestion?

From: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@--------.--->
To: xml-dev@-----.---.---
Date: 4/20/2002 3:51:00 PM
On Sat, 2002-04-20 at 10:54, Mike Champion wrote:
> >So, Google simply gave an answer based on sound marketing principles. The
> >main market is using procedural tools. This has noting to do with XML and we
> >would be lured to think the contrary.
>
> Right! This helps crystallize another issue that has been bugging me:  is there
> any intrinsic reason why "functional" or "REST-like" (I'm not sure they're the
> same, but that's another issue) development can't be done in a VB-friendly way?
> I'm bewildered by this stuff partly because Microsoft, Macromedia, have
> made lots of progress in the last 5 years making web PAGE development accessible
> to non-nerds, and it seemed logical that this technology could be leveraged
> to make RESTful web SERVICE development accessible to non-nerds.  Or maybe the
> people who understand "procedural" aspects of website development have been
> behind the scenes all along, and gravitate toward SOAP-RPC because it simply
> eliminates all the HTML/HTTP stuff between the producer and consumer of
> a web page/service?

I agree that there's no intrinsic barrier to REST working with component
frameworks.  The problem I see is choosing where to put something that
looks like an API.  Should that be on the server, or in the client, as
access to a messaging system?

I have no problem with developers thinking in components, but don't
really want their extra junk (and hideous unqualified namespace
practice) in my XML.

In general, I think you're on the right track here.  Unfortunately, I
think a lot of vendors are on the other track, have been for a while,
and show few signs of crossing over.

I don't really know what to do about that - if we do in fact wind up
with "one degree of separation", a lot of programmers are going to be
stuck doing ugly work for a long time.

--
Simon St.Laurent
Errors, errors, all fall down!