Altova Mailing List Archives

Re: [xml-dev] canonicalization

From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo@-------.---.--->
To: xml-dev@-----.---.---
Date: 3/3/2002 11:19:00 PM
At 10:35 PM +0100 3/3/02, Eric van der Vlist wrote:

>OTH, when I have submitted a while ago [1] the same concerns about
>the impact of external parsed entities on c14n, the answer has been
>that C14 was about logical documents rather than physical files.

Canonicalization (really XPath) requires resolution of all external
parsed entities. There is no fallback mechanism in the event that an
external entity is missing.If you cannot resolve all external
entities, then you cannot generate the appropriate XPath data model.
There is no chance that two correct processors will produce different
canonical forms depending on time and network topology. Everybody who
succeeds in producing a canonical document produces the same one.
That's a key difference between external entities and XInclude.

| Elliotte Rusty Harold | elharo@m... | Writer/Programmer |
|             http://www.cafeconleche.org/books/bible2/              |