Altova Mailing List Archives

Re: [xml-dev] canonicalization

From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo@-------.---.--->
To: Marcus Carr <mcarr@-------.---.-->
Date: 3/5/2002 1:48:00 PM
At 10:24 AM +1100 3/5/02, Marcus Carr wrote:

>Doing this with entities, I'd generate a document comprised of entity
>references, and create the subdocuments with DOCTYPEs. I'd validate the
>subdocuments independantly, creating the files that matched my entity
>references. I understand that with XInclude I could use the subdocuments
>directly (after validation) rather than first generating an output file
>(without DOCTYPE) from each subdocument - is that the only gain in this
>scenario?

No, there are a few others. Specifically,

1. XInclude allows (but does not require) fallbacks if a resource is
missing. Entities don't.

2. XInclude can use XPointers to select only part of a remote
document. Entities can't.

3. XInclude can include unparsed text, useful for examples in XML
books and such. Entities can only refer to XML.

| Elliotte Rusty Harold | elharo@m... | Writer/Programmer |
|             http://www.cafeconleche.org/books/bible2/              |