Altova Mailing List Archives

Re: [xml-dev] XPointer crisis

From: heikki@--------.--- (------ --------)
Date: 2/1/2002 8:24:00 PM
Daniel Veillard wrote:

>On Fri, Feb 01, 2002 at 02:08:50PM -0500, Jonathan Robie wrote:
>
>>In HTML, most pointers are done with very simple pointers like this:
>>
>>http://somesite.com/html/top.html#section_2
>>

>  Whose semantic is hardcoded in a DTD that nearly no application
>ever respected or used. Let's have a look of the alternatives in
>XML:
>
>  #foo
>
>  Hard to rely on it with XML, well last time I suggested on this forum xml:id
>I got a lot of flack back, I won't try again.
>  So either you accept to force validation of document (and hence
>possibly have to fetch and trust remote DTD in your framework) or you
>need other pointing schemes.

This isn't as hard as you'd think. You can have non-validating parser
pay attention to ID type attributes.

In some cases you may author your document so that it contains an
internal subset specifying the ID type attributes.

Your application may also support some kind of catalog system (a la XML
Catalog) so that it could load a local DTD file instead of a remote DTD.

Finally your application may have hardcoded support for some document
types/schemas/namespaces, and may be able to recognize ID attributes
because of that (take XHTML for example).

Mozilla (which uses Expat) supports all of the above (catalog support is
hardcoded for a few precanned DTDs at  the moment). This is not a
perfect solution, but in many cases adequate.

--
  Heikki Toivonen