Altova Mailing List Archives

Re: [xml-dev] Errors in Kendall Clark's xml.com article on QNames

From: Eric van der Vlist <vdv@--------.--->
To: xml-dev@-----.---.---
Date: 2/13/2002 5:07:00 PM
Henry S. Thompson wrote:
> Eric van der Vlist <vdv@d...> writes:
>
> <snip/>
>
>>(just remember the mess it has been to transform a version of W3C
>>XML Schema into the next one before it went rec).
>>

> Um, I'm confused -- I posted stylesheets to do this to this list, and
> put tools up to do the transformation, both times we revved the Schema
> syntax in any significant way (see for example xsu online [1]).  What
> mess were you referring to?

"Mess" was too strong a word, sorry for this.

Even though you have answered that these were "marginal cases", I
remember that those stylesheets could not handle the cases where
namespaces were redefined locally in a schema:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/xmlschema-dev/2000Sep/0046.html

Not taking these marginal cases into account might be acceptable for
convertions sheets, but they show nevertheless the complexity involved
by handling QNames in attributes with XSLT/XPath 1.0 and this looks like
a design flaw.

Eric

--
Rendez-vous a Paris pour mes formations XML/XSLT.
                                           http://dyomedea.com/formation/