Altova Mailing List Archives

Re: [xml-dev] Interesting XML-DIST-APP thread

From: Francis Norton <francis@-------.--->
To: "Roger L. Costello" <costello@-----.--->
Date: 1/10/2002 2:11:00 PM
Roger L. Costello wrote:

 > Not sure that I follow you Tim.  Are you saying that Web services
 > will push more of the processing onto the client, and off the
 > server?  Why do you think that?  /Roger

Just speaking for myself, surely that's axiomatic? If you need a
sequence of processes to complete a transaction, then a Browser Query
(to invent a term for existing model) requires all the programmatic
processes to take place on the server (ignoring processing by the user,
or by risky HTML-parsing applications), but a Web Service gets a
compact, text-only response which can be further processed client-side.

Web Services won't suport an advertising model, they'll apply to user
transactions like:

[1]
do you have this book, and how much are you charging for it?
[2]
when is the next train home from Hampton Wick?
[3]
How low is our share price today?

All these can get a better user interface from the client side - indeed,
they'll probably spawn the next generation of desktop applications, and
will be way more efficient as web services than as browser queries.

Francis.