Altova Mailing List Archives

Re: [xml-dev] processing trees

From: Richard Tobin <richard@------.--.--.-->
To: xml-dev@-----.---.---
Date: 1/15/2002 11:13:00 PM
In article <00c401c19e00$34312870$2cd0a340@paultx> you write:

>3. find -name -exec script {} \;
>makes a simple, practical and scalable
>processing model for UNIX filesystem
>( OK -  for some of us ). It supports inserts
>and updates, actually.

It supports inserts and updates by not storing the data as a flat
file.  A plain XML file is not a good way to do this in general.
Perhaps you would be better off with something that let you view your
file hierarchy as XML!

It would not be too difficult a project for an undergraduate to write
an NFS server that let you mount an XML file as a filesystem.  Works
across the net too!

What about attributes?  Perhaps this is what Apple ("resource fork")
needed all along.

I would certainly like to be able to put processing instructions in my
directories.

Plan-9 gives you UTF-8 filenames.

Just think... you could validate your directories.

-- Richard