Altova Mailing List Archives

RE: [xml-dev] Strategies for a lowly XML document

From: Michael Brennan <Michael_Brennan@-------.--->
To: "'Bill Lindsey'" <bill@-----.--->, xml-dev@-----.---.---
Date: 1/23/2002 10:28:00 PM
> From: Bill Lindsey [mailto:bill@b...]

<snip/>

> I'd be particularly interested in hearing
>
> arguments that this approach:
>

>  * somehow subverts W3C Schemas or Namespaces
>
>   * requires W3C schema validation or PSVI processing
>
>  * interferes with W3C schema validation or PSVI processing
>
>   * favors any particular schema language over others
>
>  * is ugly

How about this now bases a generalized processing model on XML Schema's
notion of types -- something that has proven to be quite controversial, and
has *not* proven itself to be a generalized-enough foundation for very
general XML architectures. In fact, it has been proven that XML Schema types
cannot adequately model all possible XML structures, so you've just
constrained this approach to be restricted to only a subset of possible
documents.

DOCTYPEs have their own problems, but they are already there in the
foundation of XML, so we have to contend with them.

I have a big problem with basing this on XML Schema types.