Altova Mailing List Archives

Re: [xml-dev] XML and mainframes, yet again (was RE: [xml-dev] So mecomments on the 1.1 draft)

From: John Cowan <cowan@-------.----.--->
To: Nicolas LEHUEN <nicolas.lehuen@------.--->
Date: 12/17/2001 10:59:00 AM
Nicolas LEHUEN scripsit:

> Pardon my naive question, but how comes that Unicode, which can handle
> different character representations depending on the encoding used, does not
> have a SINGLE newline codepoint that would map onto 0x0D0A (CRLF) on some
> platform, 0x0D (CR) or 0x0A (LF) on others, 0x85 (NEL) on mainframes, etc. ?

It does: that was why U+2028 LINE SEPARATOR was designed into Unicode.
It was intended to solve the problem once and for all by being Unicode's
only line separator.

In practice, though, people who implemented Unicode retained the platform-
specific line terminator; as a consequence, U+2028 makes the problem
worse.

--
John Cowan           http://www.ccil.org/~cowan              cowan@c...
Please leave your values        |       Check your assumptions.  In fact,