Altova Mailing List Archives

Re: [xml-dev] Namespace Usage Question

From: "Clark C . Evans" <cce@----------.--->
To: xml-dev@-----.---.---
Date: 12/19/2001 12:03:00 PM
On Wed, Dec 19, 2001 at 11:34:57AM +0000, Richard Tobin wrote:
| >I did some searching for publicly known namespaces
| >(schema in particular) which use the flexibility of
| >URI references by either being non-absolute or having
| >a fragment.
|
| You should note that relative namespace URIs are illegal (surely this
| debate cannot have been forgotten?).  See http://www.w3.org/2000/09/xppa
| for details.

Thanks Richard.  I am aware that relative namespace URIs
are deprecated; however, they are still well-formed XML
and conform to the namespaces spec (to be addressed
in XML version 1.1?).  In any case, I'd still like to
know if anyone is still using them (a year and a half later).

Furthermore (and more importantly), I'm interested to
know if URI fragments are being used by any mainstream
processes or schema.  In particular, case "B" as
given by the previous question...

B.  xmlns:foo="http://somehost/somepath#fragment"

Thanks so much!

Best,

Clark

--
Clark C. Evans                   Axista, Inc.
http://www.axista.com            800.926.5525