Altova Mailing List Archives

Re: [xml-dev] Interoperability

From: Gavin Thomas Nicol <gtn@----.--->
To: "Rick Jelliffe" <ricko@-------.---.-->,<xml-dev@-----.---.--->
Date: 11/15/2001 3:47:00 AM
On Wednesday 14 November 2001 09:06 pm, Rick Jelliffe wrote:
> A month ago I posted this idea (made for inhouse discussion at Allette
> Systems in Sydney). It has three characteristics
>  1) Low tech and flexible
>  2) Only aimed at "document types" or "document type applications"
>       (i.e. metadata)  not whole documents
>  3) Provides space for integrators to add parts for different platforms
>
>  http://www.topologi.com/public/dzip.html

This doesn't differ all that much from the MIME-SGML proposal using catalogs
(and I still think the TR9401 syntax is broken BTW ;-)).. though it switches
ZIP for multipart message bodies, and thereby nicely sidesteps MIME issues ;-)

I think some form of catalog approach is much cleaner, and more robust than
things like multipart-related....