Altova Mailing List Archives

[xml-dev] Is this open-source? (Re: Mixed SAX-DOM parsing)

From: Kohsuke KAWAGUCHI <kohsukekawaguchi@-----.--->
To: Devsphere <dxmldev@-----.--->
Date: 9/26/2001 6:31:00 PM
> Devsphere.com announces the availability of SAXDOMIX,
> a FREE Open-Source Java framework for scalable XML parsing and
> transforming based on standard APIs (SAX, DOM and JAXP).

The license looks like Apache Software License, but it is different in a
significant way. Specifically, the license includes the following term:

>  * The source code is provided for reference purposes and to allow you
>  * to modify it if necessary. You may not redistribute the source code
>  * without prior written permission of Devsphere. For written permission,
>  * please contact info@d...

I'm not an open-source expert, but I don't think you can call it
"open-source java framework" while prohibiting redistribution of the
source code.

For one, according to the definition of "The Open Source Definition"
(http://www.opensource.org/docs/definition.html), an open source
software "must allow distribution in source code as well as compiled
form."

regards,
K.Kawaguchi
E-Mail: kohsukekawaguchi@y...