Altova Mailing List Archives

RE: Namespace name: better to use URN or URL?

From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo@-------.---.--->
To: xml-dev@-----.---.---
Date: 9/1/2001 7:22:00 AM
What would happen if we were to use URLs with uncommon schemes? e.g.

namespace://www.ibiblio.org/xml/baseball/

Would this make new users less likely to assume they could resolve these things while still preventing conflicts?

Would this be legal? Is there any official registry for URL schemes or can I just make them up as I choose? Certainly Java made up a lot (jdbc, jndi, doc, netdoc, etc.) and provides an architecture (protocol handlers) for supporting arbitrary schemes. However I'm not sure if that usage is approved by the standards that be.

| Elliotte Rusty Harold | elharo@m... | Writer/Programmer |