Altova Mailing List Archives

RE: Namespace name: better to use URN or URL?

From: David Hunter <david.hunter@-------.--->
To: xml-dev@-----.---.---
Date: 8/30/2001 8:05:00 AM
Title: RE: Namespace name: better to use URN or URL?

This is how I feel too, however, I think we may be in the minority.  Maybe the difference is the word "philosophically" - in my philosophy, a URN provides a better fit, but I think many (most?) people prefer a URL, since they can then put something there, which will provide a benefit in their situation.  Philosophically, they look at the whole situation, and specifically XML Namespaces, differently than I do.

(The point has also been made that it's easier to create a unique URL than a unique URN, but I'm not convinced that that's true.)

Side note:  RDDL changes things a little bit, for me.  If I was going to describe my namespace in RDDL, I would have no trouble, philosophically, using a URL for my namespace name.  Well, maybe a little trouble, since I would still be a little uncomfortable with the tying of name and RDDL document location...  (From a puritanical standpoint, I would probably prefer some other kind of attribute that points to an RDDL document.)

David