Altova Mailing List Archives

Re: How could RDDL be distributed ?

From: Eric van der Vlist <vdv@--------.--->
To: "xml-dev@-----.---.---" <-------@-----.---.--->
Date: 1/16/2001 4:17:00 AM
Michael Mealling wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 16, 2001 at 12:00:54PM +0100, Eric van der Vlist wrote:
> > Another alternative would be to rely exclusively on the protocol caching
> > facilities, but I think that they are currently used in a too randomly
> > fashion to be considered as reliable.
>
> The solution I've been suggesting for a while is using the URI Resolution
> process (draft-ietf-urn-uri-res-ddds-02.txt) to find a server that can send
> you information (RDDL in this case) about the URI in question. It still
> leaves it up to the various XML standards to decide on how to talk about
> the 'name' of a thing as well as a current 'location' of a thing. As
> mentioned earlier the actual RDDL (or chunks of it) would be retrieved
> by something like the RESCAP protocol mentioned yesterday...

I am not familiar with such URI resolution servers, and I wonder what it
means when/if I want to process a document on my disconnected laptop
computer (a common problem with DTD system IDs).

Do I have to setup a server able to return the information and how
simple is this operation ?

It would be real nice to have a way to tell to the RDDL tools: "get the
info from this local file instead of fetching it on the web".

I'll borrow the second use case to W3C XML Schema. If I get a XML
document from a supplier, I may want to override the location of the
RDDL document provided in the document itself (because I don't trust
this supplier or because I have a different way of seeing it even if
it's still the same namespace).

How simple would it be to do it through a URI resolution server ?

A third use case is if I want to use a namespace, but I need to
associate different resources than the one usually attached.

Eric