Altova Mailing List Archives

Re: Namespaces and Schemes

From: ht@------.--.--.-- (----- -. --------)
To: "Sean B. Palmer" <sean@-------------.--->
Date: 11/13/2000 2:35:00 PM
"Sean B. Palmer" <sean@m...> writes:

> > No clear what you mean by a "scheme [sic]"?
> >
> > I'd certainly be interested in a bit more detail on why it's obvious
> > that XML Schema is not appropriate for your needs.
>
> I'm not saying it isn't appropriate: far from it! Rather I'm asking "is it
> appropriate?"
> By Scheme, I mean:
> "Syntactic Schema: A document, real or imagined, which constrains the
> structure and/or type of data. (pl.: Schemata)." - Tim Berners-Lee,
> http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/Evolution.html

So by Scheme you meant Schema :-)

I encourage you to read the XML Schema Primer [1], which contains a good
introduction to the mechanisms by which you can associate schemas with
namespaces -- putting a schema document at the namespace URI is only
one of them.  I think there's enough flexibility in the spec. to
accommodate your needs.

ht

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-0/
	    Fax: (44) 131 650-4587, e-mail: ht@c...