Altova Mailing List Archives

Re: Does DTD validation work with namespaces?

From: Norman Walsh <ndw@------.--->
To: xml-dev@-----.---.---
Date: 8/9/2000 1:17:00 PM
/ tpassin@h... was heard to say:
| If I insert an h2 element from the html namespace, presumably I want some
| html property - probably processor behavior - to accompany it.  Otherwise I
| wouldn't bother.  For the example of including, say, contract elements
| within a civil pleading (as some people have been talking about), I
| presumably want to bring in the exact agreed-on semantics that go along with
| the "contracts" vocabulary.

I did actually understand, I was just trying to make a point about validity.
I don't (again, personally) want random mixtures in my documents.

| So is a namespace really a glorified processing instruction that has a
| scope? Anyone care to tackle that one?

Not in my book. They just provide a shorthand syntax for globally
unique element and attribute names. It's a place to hang some
semantics, I guess.

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman.Walsh@E... | In the life of saints, technically so
XML Technology Center     | called, the spiritual facilities are