Altova Mailing List Archives

RE: Standard way to express object, not resource, rels in XML?

From: Jonathan Borden <jborden@--------.--->
To: Mike Brown <mbrown@----.----.--->, xml-dev@-----.---.---
Date: 8/18/2000 6:19:00 PM
Mike Brown wrote:

> I want to use XML to express relationships between instances of the
> conceptual/abstract objects that are each modeled by separate XML
> documents
> (or separate collections of documents). I was about to make something up
> that was specific to my application, but I was wondering if there was a
> standard way to do this.

RDF Schemas are designed for this. In this case the models are contained
within the same document, and referred to by identifiers. The models could
just as easily be contained in distinct documents.

Is this example explanatory?

<rdf:RDF xml:lang="en"

<rdfs:Class rdf:ID="Person">
  <rdfs:comment>The class of people.</rdfs:comment>

<rdf:Property ID="maritalStatus">
  <rdfs:range rdf:resource="#MaritalStatus"/>
  <rdfs:domain rdf:resource="#Person"/>

<rdf:Property ID="ssn">
  <rdfs:comment>Social Security Number</rdfs:comment>
  <rdfs:domain rdf:resource="#Person"/>

<rdf:Property ID="age">
  <rdfs:domain rdf:resource="#Person"/>

<rdfs:Class rdf:ID="MaritalStatus"/>

<MaritalStatus rdf:ID="Married"/>
<MaritalStatus rdf:ID="Divorced"/>
<MaritalStatus rdf:ID="Single"/>
<MaritalStatus rdf:ID="Widowed"/>

Jonathan Borden
The Open Healthcare Group

These Archives are provided for informational purposes only and have been generated directly from the Altova mailing list archive system and are comprised of the lists set forth on Therefore, Altova does not warrant or guarantee the accuracy, reliability, completeness, usefulness, non-infringement of intellectual property rights, or quality of any content on the Altova Mailing List Archive(s), regardless of who originates that content. You expressly understand and agree that you bear all risks associated with using or relying on that content. Altova will not be liable or responsible in any way for any content posted including, but not limited to, any errors or omissions in content, or for any losses or damage of any kind incurred as a result of the use of or reliance on any content. This disclaimer and limitation on liability is in addition to the disclaimers and limitations contained in the Website Terms of Use and elsewhere on the site.