Altova Mailing List Archives

Re: HTML + CSS to XML + CSS - what about namespaces?

From: Oliver Becker <obecker@----------.---------.-->
To: xml-dev@---.---
Date: 5/29/2000 12:31:00 AM
Hi Lisa,

> Before:
>
> After:
> xmlns:html="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40">online</html:a>
>
> My question is this:
> The initial html document may (and probably would) have had accompanying CSS
> style sheets, but now these style sheets refer to elements as they were
> before transformation (ie. without the explicit namespace). Is there any way
> to incorporate namespace into CSS, or do I need to recreate the style
> sheets?

Two thoughts:
1. The simplest way may be perhaps using a default namespace declaration:
   <a xmlns="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40" href=...."> ...
   I.e. you have to modify your XSL stylesheets accordingly.
   Now you have all your HTML elements within the HTML namespace and the
   CSS isn't affected.
2. Regarding your given example: I think this should be
           xmlns:html="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40">online</html:a>
   i.e. the href attribute is *not* prefixed. I belongs to the a element
   of the HTML namespace and that's it.

Comments?
Cheers, Oliver

|  --+--        E-Mail: obecker@i...             |